Irish Weightlifting Forum
Dedicated to the development and advancement of weightlifting in Ireland
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Cillian McNamara's training

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Weightlifting Forum Forum Index -> Irish Lifters in Action
Author Message
cillianmc_namara



Joined: 02 Sep 2008
Posts: 29
Location: Dublin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 10:52 pm    Post subject: Cillian McNamara's training Reply with quote

I finally got around to videoing one of my lifts.

All I have so far is a Snatch video from today:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TSnmYfOrC7k

I was doing sets of triples up 50kgs. This video was at 47.5kgs and was my third last set. Worth mentioning that 55kgs is the best I've lifted so far at Snatch.

Any pointers would be much appreciated!
_________________
"He who gains a victory over other men is strong; but he who gains a victory over himself is stronger"
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
cillianmc_namara



Joined: 02 Sep 2008
Posts: 29
Location: Dublin

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did another video today. Here's me cleaning and jerking 75kgs twice:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RqzldMLWWx0

I was doing sets of doubles up 80kgs. This video was at 75kgs and was my third last set. 90kgs is the best I've lifted so far at Clean and Jerk.
_________________
"He who gains a victory over other men is strong; but he who gains a victory over himself is stronger"
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
cillianmc_namara



Joined: 02 Sep 2008
Posts: 29
Location: Dublin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's me cleaning 85kgs twice:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ec0oghRToZQ

I was doing sets of triples and doubles up to 90kgs. This video was my second last set. 95kgs is the best I've lifted so far at Clean. Any pointers much appreciated.
_________________
"He who gains a victory over other men is strong; but he who gains a victory over himself is stronger"
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Eamonn Flanagan
85kg lifter


Joined: 10 Jan 2007
Posts: 348

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 9:46 am    Post subject: training Reply with quote

How long have you been training? How much do you weigh?

The basic technique, for a beginner, is very very good. Most of the positioning is where it should be (or close enough) and your flexibility is really decent. You look quite comfortable in the bottom position in the snatch and the clean, which is rare for a beginner.

The two things that strike me are that you are not reaching full extension in wither the snatch or the clean pull. Watch your lifts in slow motion and you will see that at the finish of your pulls there is still a good amount of flexion at your hips and your knees. Try to be more explosive at the top and fully extend on every lift. This will come with practice, as long as you are conscious of it.

The second thing is in the snatch, in the receiving position you tend to have your weight shifting forward onto the balls of your feet. Try to sit back with the weight toward your heels a little more and think about keeping your chest up. Again practice will improve this. It might be worthwhile to hold some of you snatches for one second in the bottom position, to feel this position better, before recovering and standing up with the weight.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
cillianmc_namara



Joined: 02 Sep 2008
Posts: 29
Location: Dublin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 12:52 pm    Post subject: Re: training Reply with quote

Eamonn Flanagan wrote:
How long have you been training? How much do you weigh?


I have been training since around September 2007. Up until March 09' I was doing mostly powerlifting type training (except that I always went ATG on the squats) with power-cleans, power-snatches, power-jerks thrown in. Since March 09' I've been doing just oly lifting training and I've had a guy in my gym showing me technique and helping me out.

At the moment I weigh 90kgs.

Eamonn Flanagan wrote:
The basic technique, for a beginner, is very very good. Most of the positioning is where it should be (or close enough) and your flexibility is really decent. You look quite comfortable in the bottom position in the snatch and the clean, which is rare for a beginner.

The two things that strike me are that you are not reaching full extension in wither the snatch or the clean pull. Watch your lifts in slow motion and you will see that at the finish of your pulls there is still a good amount of flexion at your hips and your knees. Try to be more explosive at the top and fully extend on every lift. This will come with practice, as long as you are conscious of it.

The second thing is in the snatch, in the receiving position you tend to have your weight shifting forward onto the balls of your feet. Try to sit back with the weight toward your heels a little more and think about keeping your chest up. Again practice will improve this. It might be worthwhile to hold some of you snatches for one second in the bottom position, to feel this position better, before recovering and standing up with the weight.


I notice the extension now that you mention it. I'll try and be conscious of it in future sessions.

I'll try holding it in the bottom position. I'm pretty sure this is my weak link in the snatch. Would you recommend doing a pause when I'm overhead squatting as well?

Thanks again for the pointers Smile
_________________
"He who gains a victory over other men is strong; but he who gains a victory over himself is stronger"
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
cillianmc_namara



Joined: 02 Sep 2008
Posts: 29
Location: Dublin

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's another one:
90kgs Clean
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oT71HhvKwrE

I still don't have the second pull but I'm trying. I think I need to move a bit faster under the bar.

Also I might as well give the link to my training journal (though I might have posted it elsewhere on the site as well):
http://weightliftingexchange.com/index.php?option=com_smf&Itemid=39&topic=5325.32
_________________
"He who gains a victory over other men is strong; but he who gains a victory over himself is stronger"
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Weights_Admin
Site Admin


Joined: 01 Jan 1970
Posts: 644
Location: N. Ireland or Arkansas

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

90kg clean:

1. I think your ass raises up too quickly in the pull.

2. There is a significant jump forward (use graphics on platform to compare where heel is before and after lift).

3. When you rack bar dont sit at the bottom. Try over the next month or two to time your drive out of the bottom squat once you rack the bar. You want to use the whip of the bar to help you drive out of the bottom. I may not be good at explaining this but even in front squats you will find bar lighter to lift if you bounce out of bottom rather than pausing at the bottom.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
cillianmc_namara



Joined: 02 Sep 2008
Posts: 29
Location: Dublin

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Weights_Admin wrote:
90kg clean:

1. I think your ass raises up too quickly in the pull.

2. There is a significant jump forward (use graphics on platform to compare where heel is before and after lift).

3. When you rack bar dont sit at the bottom. Try over the next month or two to time your drive out of the bottom squat once you rack the bar. You want to use the whip of the bar to help you drive out of the bottom. I may not be good at explaining this but even in front squats you will find bar lighter to lift if you bounce out of bottom rather than pausing at the bottom.


Thanks for the tips. I'll give these a go the next time I hit the cleans.

Also I was wondering when it comes to correcting technique issues should I drop back to smaller weights and try to get it right before increasing weight? Or is it okay to keep up with the weights I'm using and try and correct issues as well as trying to lift heavier weights?

Here a recent video, Snatch with 60kgs:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ulIstw0vPEg

Thanks again for the comments.
_________________
"He who gains a victory over other men is strong; but he who gains a victory over himself is stronger"
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Eamonn Flanagan
85kg lifter


Joined: 10 Jan 2007
Posts: 348

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 11:16 am    Post subject: corrections Reply with quote

You will always be more able and more likely to make technical corrections at lighter weights (but not too light). Around 80% of max should be good. Spend most of your time in this range.

You can still go up to maxes but you will probably see technique break down a little as you do this.

Over time, your technique with the lighter weights and with the weights toward maximum will come closer and closer together.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
cillianmc_namara



Joined: 02 Sep 2008
Posts: 29
Location: Dublin

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got some videos from the recent Leinster Open:

60kgs Snatch:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Xv_25P33vE

92kgs Clean and Jerk:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hKdtKobJQv4

Making a 152kg total for the day.
_________________
"He who gains a victory over other men is strong; but he who gains a victory over himself is stronger"
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Weights_Admin
Site Admin


Joined: 01 Jan 1970
Posts: 644
Location: N. Ireland or Arkansas

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good lifting!

Snatch looks easy, you can see you hitting 70kg fairly soon.

Clean looked strong.

With Harry helping you now you will be flying up
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Display posts from previous:    View previous topic : View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Weightlifting Forum Forum Index -> Irish Lifters in Action All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum